Monday, November 6, 2017

The Faces of Brokenness

What a week this has been!  Never did I imagine, when scheduling, what each of these appointments would present.  And there were those events that just showed up...the ones you have no control of...that life presents on its own. Like one of my daughter's friends losing her 19-day old daughter - unexpectedly; and while sitting in a jubilant worship service I get ‘urgent’ calls and texts to go and pray with the family who are 50 miles away; and learning that I will officiate the funeral of Baby Zoey, which stirs up memories of my own loss of an infant child buried 42 years ago. Then, being informed by a spiritual daughter that she has to undergo a cancer-related surgery that may disfigure her.  The remainder of my schedule concluded with the anguish of a grieving husband wanting to save his marriage; another couple whose marriage has come to an end, and yet another marriage requiring a check-up before it goes awry.  Let me not fail to mention the two days that I was out of commission because of a food allergy - one unwelcomed and very unpleasant events that caused me to cancel other appointments. But, before I can review my calendar for the upcoming week, I awaken from a long nap to the news of a church shooting in Sutherland, Texas, where 26 individuals have been violently murdered. My heart hurts!  All of these occurrences represent the many faces of brokenness!

Let’s understand what brokenness is. It is sorrow and all of the associated synonyms; the
sorrow of heart caused by personal afflictions (i.e. a diagnosis of cancer, divorce...), outside occurrences (i.e. mass shootings), and even sin (i.e. waywardness from God's will).  The depth of brokenness is determined by the strength or weakness of the sufferer.  Some people, after just a few days of mourning, can move on, while others may never escape the despair brought on by brokenness.

I’ve had my share of “if it’s not one thing, it’s another” heaped upon me in my lifetime, although now it seems the occurrences are few-and in-between; maybe it's that I'm one of them that can just "move on" because I've learned how to cast my care upon my Lord, Christ Jesus.  I realize that for some, however, the “one thing” or “another thing” can be devastating – a major blow to the heart, crushing the spirit of a man or woman, and leaving them without hope of recovery.  

I felt overwhelmed last week because I was willing to share the load of others.  But what happens to those who have no one to share with? Or those who don’t know how to express their brokenness? Or even the ones who are too embarrassed to share their pain?


Where do the broken-in-heart go for help?  Some may feel their only options are drugs, alcohol, sexual encounters, self-mutilation, or food for consolation. While these choices might temporarily anesthetize the pain, they don’t provide lasting solutions.  But in the midst of ALL of the suffering that life brings - the Word of God gives us hope!  

The Psalmist testifies that Jehovah IS near.  He is near to provide aid no matter the distress.  He is near to take up and deliver us from the burdens of our sorrows because He understands and cares for each and every one of us.  It is in the crushing moments of life, that if we'll take notice - we'll find the LORD is near! 

“The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart, and saves such as be of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivers him out of them all.”
Psalm 34:18-19


No comments:

Post a Comment